Frequently Asked Questions

  • Grease

    • Where does the grease come from in a kitchen?

    • Large grease generators in the kitchen are the pre-rinse sinks and the pot-washing sinks. Grease comes from the food residue that is on used plates and cookware. The biggest generator of grease is the three-compartment sink, where a lot of the pots and pans are washed.

      Surprisingly, very little grease comes from the dishwasher. Plates and cookware have grease and food residue scraped/rinsed off at the pre-rinse station before they go into the dishwasher. Any grease that does come out of a dishwasher is emulsified grease. Grease emulsifies due to the high concentration of detergents and high strength soaps that dishwashers utilize. Emulsified grease cannot be trapped.

  • Installation

    • Is a flow control required and if yes is it required to be vented?

    • Thermaco recommends you follow the local and state plumbing codes with regard to flow controls and vented flow controls. Your local distributor of Thermaco products can help you as they are very knowledgeable in this area.

      For more information Click Here

  • Rendering & Recycling Company Directory

    • Can I put my fryer oil directly into the grease trap?

    • People sometimes get grease separators confused with grease receptacles (barrels or bins) where spent fryer grease and grill drippings are kept. Grease separators are part of the plumbing system and capture grease, oils and fats from kitchen drain water. You should NEVER pour grease from fryers or grill drippings into a grease separator.

      Always properly dispose of fryer oil and grill drippings into a designated grease barrel or bin provided by your local cooking oil recycling company. Please visit this site for the rendering/recycling company in your area.

  • Other

    • Is a point of use grease trap required for a 3 compartment sink if a central grease removal system is used for the entire kitchen?

    • A point of use grease separator is usually not required for a three (3) compartment pot washing sink when there is a central grease removal system receiving the flows from the entire kitchen.

    • Do ice cream factories need grease traps?

    • Yes. Ice cream production plants utilize milk and cream products containing homogenized and non-homogenized (free-floating) butterfat. The homogenized fats cannot be separated. Free-floating (non-homogenized) butterfat can be separated by grease separators having sufficient retention times. Most of the butterfat at ice cream production facilities is homogenized product. Because of the inability to separate homogenized butterfat, production process spill and waste prevention is usually the best practice for ensuring an ice cream production facility meets community fats and oils discharge limits.

    • How can I get a specification/cut sheet or drawing for my plans?

    • You can download them from our website or you can contact us at 1-800-633-4204.

      Click the appropriate link below to access specifications and drawings for our products.

    • How many inches should the air gap be?

    • An air gap is the unobstructed vertical distance through the free air between the outlet of the discharging pipe and the flood rim of the receptacle receiving the flow. Some code areas require a 50 mm (2") air gap above the receptor, whereas other code areas call for the distance to be a minimum of 25 mm (1"). There are also some code authorities that specify air gap distance to a minimum of 2X the internal diameter of the discharging pipe. Please check your local code requirements on this question.

    • Need size of inlet/outlet pipe?

    • We have a number of different sized units for different situations. The size of the inlet/outlet pipe for each unit can be found on the Specifications for that particular unit. Please use the link attached to download the associated Spec for the unit to get any dimensions you might need.

      Click the appropriate link below to access specifications for our products to determine the correct pipe sizes.

    • Do you need a grease trap in sandwich shop?

    • The answer to your question would depend on the regulations imposed by your local sewer district. Each municipality has its own regulations with regards to what food service sites require grease traps, whether they must be automatic or passive, central or point source, etc. We recommend that you check with your city's regulations before purchasing anything to ensure that you remain in compliance.